Sunday 11 May 2014

Donnerstag: Huftengold - queens of the open sandwich


I've fallen a little bit in love with the pastel-coloured streets of Prenzlauer Berg. All the buildings are painted complementary shades of blossom pink and mint green, and every other shop is either a super-chic boutique or a well-styled cafe with an excess of fairy lights and flowers on the forecourt.

That's pretty much Huftengold in a nutshell, actually. Di, Nana and I discovered this little gem after our fruitless second hand shopping trip, and I'm embarrassed to admit that I succumbed to the ditzy-girly chunk of my brain and plumped for Huftengold solely because of their multicoloured garden furniture and pretty bunting.

It proved to be a good decision though (thanks, ditzy-girly brain!) because Huftengold more than match their style with substance. Their extensive menu provides an ample selection for veggies and vegans to choose from, as well as having a host of meaty choices for carnivores to sink their teeth into. I had the open foccacia sandwich with home-made vegan pesto, cream cheese and tomatoes and it was perfecto - the bread/filling ratio was spot on and the pesto was one of the nicest I've ever tasted. Saying that, I've spent the past four years buying the cheapy stuff from Lidl, so my uncultured palette doesn't have much else to compare it with. Best of all, this cracking lunch set me back a mere 4.50. It's good to know that even though I'm gradually inching my way towards financial destitution, I'll still be able to afford a decent sandwich.

Hufties (as I will henceforth be calling it) has it all - great food, great decor and possibly the friendliest service we've had so far in Berlin, apart from Maerchen man, who was something else altogether. Di and Nana were well impressed too - just look at their happy little faces! Hufties, you are fockin' epic, and we'll be seeing y'all real soon.

Oderbergerstrasse 27, Prenzlauer Berg, 10435 Berlin

Bis bald,
Betti Baudelaire xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment